|Shopping cart is empty.|
|This catalog has no sub-catalogs.|
This short course is designed to provide participants with understanding of the drivers of performance and efficiency within feedlot production. It provides the skills and knowledge required to:
- identify feedstuffs used for feedlot production, including feedstuff role and limitations of use; and
- assess feedstuffs and apply quality standards for feedlot production.
This course includes the following nationally recognised units of competency:
- FPMFFP403 - Select feedstuffs for use in feedlot production; and
- FPMFQS404 - Implement feedstuff quality systems for feedlot production
These units form part of the overall 10148NAT - Certificate IV in Feedlot Production (Feeding Management) qualification. The detail below sets out the key components studied within this short course.
- Water requirements, quality, supply & security
- Energy definition & measurement
- Maintenance energy requirement
- Assessing energy value of feedstuffs
- Protein definition & measurement
- Protein requirements
- Assessing protein value of feedstuffs
- Fibre definition & measurement
- Fibre requirements & assessing fibre value of feedstuffs
- Feedlot suppliments
- Feedstuff classification, processing & storage requirements
- Feedstuff production costs & operational considerations
- Feedstuff purchase, receival, storage & feeding
- Commodity vendor declaration
- Chemicals, industry experience
- Feedstuff & ration samplign & testing
- Methods of feed analysis & interpretation
To assist you in deciding if you are ready for study at this level:
- Are you looking to improve your understanding of the principles of safe feeding of livestock?
- Do you need to sharpen your skills in evaluating feedstuffs and/or calculating production costs?
- Are you self motivated? Do you have a range of study skills and tools to direct your study? Organising your study time, so as to prioritise your workload, will allow you to get the most out of your studies and meet your assessment deadlines.
- Study will involve a range of reading activities, calculations, report writing and conducting research. This course includes practical assessment elements. You are required to have literacy and numeracy levels equivalent to a successful completion of year 10 English and Mathematics.
Resources RequiredIt is recommended that you have access to a reliable internet connection to access seventyWest online systems and a computer with up to date software, including Microsoft office. You will also require a valid and appropriate email address and personal stationery (pen and paper).
seventyWest will provide the relevant learning resources (workbooks) for this course.
This unit is delivered in both self-paced online study or blended delivery mode (which comprises of online studies and workshop format).
The duration of the training is 212 hours (typically 3-6 months).
Custom group training is available with delivery details negotiated with each employer.
On successful completion, students will be awarded a Statement of Attainment in:
- FPMFFP403 Select feedstuffs for use in feedlot production
- FPMFQS404 Implement feedstuff quality systems for feedlot production